Independent Living Skills
Services that develop and maintain the community living skills and community integration of a person. independant Living Skills are provided in the home of a person or in the community.
To be eligible for ILS an individual must:
Note: Persons who have mental illness are eligible for
ILS if they meet these criteria. This applies when the mental
illness is the only diagnosis, or when the person has another
type of disability and a mental illness.
- Be under 65 years of age.
- Be certified as disabled by either the Social Security
Administration or the State Medical Review Team.
- Be eligible for Medical Assistance (MA). Eligibility for
MA is based only on your income and assets, even though
you may live with your parents or spouse.
- Requires the level of care provided in a nursing facility.
- Have had a Pre-Admission Screening (PAS)
- Choose a community care.
- Have a community care plan that reasonably ensures your
health and safety.
- Be able to have ILS services provided within the waiver's
How to Apply
Contact the county social services agency where
the person with mental retardation or related conditions resides
and ask for an MR/RC waiver screening. The county can assist
applicants in the application process.
For requests for development of services, current
openings (service type, location) or more info please contact Tom or Audrey at